Before I say anything about how this week went at the news room...check this out!! I'm on WHAG's webpage, well, the back of me is. Perhaps I am being a bit to overly excited about this, but hey, soon my face is going to be all over a news station website as a news reporter and I'm going to be more excited then, because that will be stage one of the mission accomplished; yet, for now I'll take what I can get. (My hand has also made an appearance in a few packages)
I'm on the stations web page!!!! Sort of... Check it out! I'm the blonde one.
Anyway, on to this week...
Due to some scheduling complications I was only in the newsroom one day this week. The day was both good and bad. The bad first is that it was quite a slow day. The story the reporter I went out with was covering was pretty straightforward and easy to get the one interview for. Literally...we only did one interview because the reported already had B-role from another I visit to the location and the second "interview" for the package was a press release we already had. Needless to say, one interview did not take long to get and we were back in the newsroom by the afternoon with an abundant amount of time to work on putting the package together. This leads into the good parts about the day.
Since there was a lot of time before the package aired, Rose, the journalist I was with for the day, was able to take the time to show me how to work with the editing process. She showed me how to put in CG's (as well as tell me what a CG was). She taught me what hit times were and how find them, as well as how to put them in the edition program Avid. Rose really clarified what some things where and how they worked for me. For instance, what a VOSOT was and what it was for, and how to work with things like pad in the videos, why out cues and roll cues were, and what the Hold was, as well as what a locator was and how to put it in etc.. The keyboard for the system has lots of markings on it to help with the editing, problem is, I don't know what most of the symbols mean, so Rose explained a lot of the important ones. At this point I could not work the system or edit a package together alone, but now that it has been explained a little, I think with a little practice I could actually get pretty good. Which would also mean I could help, and the slow days would not seem that slow. Finally, I did more script work. As an English major, writing is my thing, and I've found that the script writing process is more tedious than it seems, but it's a very interesting kind of challenge to overcome.
All in all,despite the slowness of the day I did get a decent amount out of it. The editing system, I had decided my first day, was going to be the bane of my internship, but now that I understand it a little more it's not quite as intimidating. However, I also realized that there will be VERY slow days, and I imagine that some days they will be welcome (especially when one of the producers/anchors decides to bring everyone's donuts and you are entertained as everyone gets very involved in the changing if the posters around the newsroom) , but other days they will just be too long. I must accept the reality, but that just means I appreciate the busy days filled up with hot stories even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment