This week was a great week. I think the more comfortable I get with the atmosphere and get to know people at the station I am going to get more and more out of this internship. Anyway, on Monday I went out with a journalist who was absolutely fantastic. She was very determined for me to be involved in the process of following, getting, and putting together a story; it was intimidating at first, but very exciting because I was getting a real feel of what the job was like. After her original story lead didn't pan out she had to turn to her sources. Sitting at her desk she pulled out a stack of business cards and split them in half. "You take half and I'll take half. We'll just start calling and see what's been going on and see if we can get a new story idea" is what she said to me with a smile, much more enthusiastic about the idea than I was. Keep in mind this is only my second day, I was a bit shocked she was ok with me making phone calls and trusting my judgment enough to get a story lead. One of her sources managed to give us a pretty interesting angle for a story, so off we went to get some interviews. For the first interview I watched and listened, taking in everything she explained and said, which was good because she told me I was going to do the next interview. I did too. Of course, she asked some extra questions that I didn't think to ask. Then, I did my very first stand up. I did two stand ups this week actually, and after them I realized that I need more work on camera to be more comfortable and natural.
Both Monday and Friday I did more camera work and learned about the editing process. The editing process is definitely the part that is the most confusing and tedious. I do need to learn how to use the editing program though, because both journalist told me this week I should put together a package before I leave the internship. Guess that is added to my goal list. I also have been getting more involved with the script writing, which is great.
Anyway, there was so much new information this week, I can only imagine how much more there is to learn about the field. From learning what is and how to do a stand-up, to what editing requires, and how to conduct an interview and much, much more, I realized this week that I have so much to learn and I am very excited to learn.
I'll be back next week, with hopefully more exciting, reports of my newsroom experiences!!
No comments:
Post a Comment