Even though I have only been at this internship at WHAG for a short period of time I have encountered many different types of stories and also realized there are so many different things that could be done in a day. This week was a week I got to do some things I have not done at the station before, and I really enjoyed being able to do new things.
I made, what are called, beat calls this week. At first I was surprised that I was allowed to make calls on behalf of the station. However, I have come to realize that the more comfortable I become I at the station and the better job I do at the little things the more responsibilities the reporters I work with are going to give me. Anyway, I made the beat calls, which was basically calling all the sheriffs departments and local police stations to see if there was anything news worthy going on. All was quiet on the front that day and my calls led to no new stories. While on the topic of phone calls, I also made calls to a potential interviewee for a story the journalist I was with wanted to cover the next day. I did the research to find out who the reporter needed to talk to about the topic and also set up the interview time and place with the person. I relayed all the information to the reporter who was, happily, pleased with my work.
Not only did I make lots of phone calls and research, but I also did more work on the job with a reporter. I took almost all the b-role for the package and also did a stand up (which I am much more satisfied with than previous ones). As always I helped with the editing process and script writing.
I hope that as I continue my progress at WHAG that one day I will be able to put together, write and package my own story (with the supervision of a reporter of course).
No comments:
Post a Comment