Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Last Few Days

As I came into my final week at WHAG I spent the time with the two reporters that have been the biggest help and most generous in letting me work with them.  Since I had been working with them so much, the last week was spent polishing up my skills on particular things. For instance, I did a final stand-up or two just to make sure I had a few really good ones to put on a reel. I also did a few interviews cold; in other words, I did not have an extensive amount of time to prep or come up with questions before having them. Since coming up with good interview questions has been the biggest struggle for me, it was good that I had to practice thinking fast on my feet. As always, I did lots of camera work, which I am rather proud of by this point in my internship. Before this internship I never would have know what to do with the camera, now I feel like I could do an entire story on my own and have decent visuals with it.
I owe a great deal to reporters Carmen and Nicole for spending so much time, and being so patient with me. They have become great friends and have taught me so much that I will take into my future career as a journalist. All the reporters at WHAG taught me so much about the business and so many good ways to do certain things to be the best in the biz.
 I've learned how to do Awsome stand-ups, I can do TV worthy camera work, I've learned the best way to word things for scripts that get all the accurate facts in, I've experience what a newsroom and studio are like on different types of days, and what the business is like overall. The best I had was definitely the one Saturday I went in. Not only did I get to spend the day with some of my favorite people at the station, but I got to do a whole story, that went on air, by myself. I am so glad I took advantage if this internship to try my hand at broadcast journalism because it has definitely helped me decided what direction I want to go in, in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment